Jow and I spent our belated Valentine’s Day celebration at the movies seeing Beautiful Creatures at one of those theaters that serves food and booze. Naturally, I had to have a hurricane. While the movie was just okay (I’m looking forward to getting the books and seeing if the do more of the books as movies), the scenery and dialogue was good. We were supposed to go to a favorite restaurant for gumbo, but it was v. crowded so we opted to go home and have gumbo, corn bread, andouille sausage, grilled shrimp and bloody marys instead with bread pudding and frozen banana peanut butter greek yogurt instead. We’re finding that we like our Mondays better to do things, if for no other reason than everything is far less crowded!
But the more we talked about the movie and where it takes place, the more I’m home sick to visit New Orleans again soon. I’m finding that I plug into Hoodoo/American-Southern magic the easiest and would like to deepen my practice. It makes sense, it’s as close to France as North America gets, only dirty-hot American style. The board below is inspired by the movie.
1. Oval Locket Pendant, Tiffany&Co., $425
2. Lace Nude Dress, Baylis & Knight, $230
3. Limited Edition Beautiful Creatures Collection, Pür Minerals, $39
4. Beautiful Creatures Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, iTunes, $11
5. Lafayette Sunglasses, Elizabeth and James, $155
6. Orange Crush Soda, Soda Emporium, $2
7. Lace Cable Pullover Sweater, Anthropologie, $50